[plt-scheme] Virtual machine and dynamic language implementation research?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 3 16:37:20 EST 2008

On Jan 3, 2008, at 3:13 PM, Grant Rettke wrote:

> The blurb for the Ruby interpreter Rubinius
>
> http://rubini.us/
>
> mentions that it
>
> "draws on the best virtual machine research and technology of the past
> 30 years and incorporates the newest research in dynamic language
> implementations."

If you're academic, don't be fooled by such advertising language.
That's for professionals who need to have the latest and greatest. If
you are a professional, you already know this kind of hype. If you're
neither, start from the beginning of the line :-]

-- Matthias

> Has that topic been a "hot area of research? Is it still today?

P.S. Yes, if you think the design and implementation of JVM and .IL
and things like that is 'hot.' Otherwise there has only been an
occasional workshop.