[plt-scheme] Re: tetris

From: hendrik at topoi.pooq.com (hendrik at topoi.pooq.com)
Date: Fri Feb 29 13:30:17 EST 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 07:37:19PM -0800, Benjamin L. Russell wrote:
> The game is indeed addictive.
>
> While I was playing, though, I noticed that the lack
> of a mapping of the space bar to drop the falling tile
> was slightly inconvenient, and the lack of a
> scoreboard caused to game to lack some motivation for
> continued play.  Further, the starting speed seemed to
> fast, and I was constantly using the mouse to hold the
> game window to force the game to pause while I thought
> about where to place the next tile.
>
> Therefore, may I suggest the following modifications:

As long as we're asking volunteers to do huge amounts of work,
let me suggest another option -- one which prohibits the player from
rotating the pieces.  My wife enjoys playing tetris in this way -- it
in effect makes it into a very different (and short) game.  If you
proceed with scoreboards and histories and the like, there should be a
separate scoreboard with this restriction.

-- hendrik

> 1) Map the space bar to a function to drop the falling
> tile.
>
> 2) Add a scoreboard with a stage number.

Posted on the users mailing list.