[plt-scheme] Canonical install procedure for PLT Scheme on Mac OS X 10.4.11?

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 03:05:23 EST 2008

I think you're doing it correctly for an OS X application.  If you
were installing on Unix, or via svn, you'd probably put the binaries
into /usr/local/bin (or at least symlink them there).

You're developing a web app, right?  If so, I suggest working off the
3.99 trunk.  It has the latest bug fixes and features, and you might
as well start developing on 3.99 now, rather than porting from 372
when 4.0 is released.  3.99 is unequivocally the choice of champions.

To install PLT Scheme from Subversion:

  1. Get it from svn

  svn checkout http://svn.plt-scheme.org/plt/trunk plt

  2. Build it!

  cd plt/src
  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/plt
  make
  make install

  3. There is no step three!

[Actually you might then want to symlink the binaries into
/usr/local/bin and make sure /usr/local/bin is in your path.  I just
add /usr/local/plt/bin to my path.]

N.

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 6:37 AM, Christopher Rasch <crasch at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I'm a newbie to Scheme in general, and to PLT Scheme in particular.  I'm trying to install DrScheme/MzShcheme, and I
>  just want to make sure I'm doing it right.
>
>  Here's the procedure I've followed so far:
>
>  * Go to this site:
>
>  http://download.plt-scheme.org/drscheme/
>
>  * Select "Macintosh OS X (PPC)" from the "Platform" pulldown menu.  Click Download. This will download a .dmg file to
>  your desktop.
>
>  * Double click on the plt-372-bin-ppc-osx-mac.dmg file
>
>  * With the mouse, copy the folder "PLT Scheme v372 file" to the Applications folder
>
>  * From the command line, change the name of the folder from "PLT Scheme v372" to "PLT_Scheme_v372" (I hate spaces in
>  directory/file names)
>
>  * Add the bin directory to my path:
>
>  PATH=$PATH:/Applications/PLT_Scheme_v372/bin
>
>  This works, in that it enables the mzscheme interpreter to be found on the command line.  However, it seems like the
>  files in the bin directory should be installed in a more common location, such as /usr/local/bin.
>
>  What's the proper install procedure?  Am I putting things in the correct location?
>
>  Thanks for any assistance you may wish to provide.
>
>  Chris

Posted on the users mailing list.