[plt-scheme] framing problem

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 21 15:32:21 EST 2008

On Feb 21, 2008, at 2:57 PM, Mark Engelberg wrote:

> In my view, this problem has been most satisfactorily solved by
> "multiple-dispatch" (aka multimethod) object-oriented languages
> (like Dylan, inspired by CLOS), but for various reasons, this
> solution hasn't really caught on.  But the quest to solve this
> problem is why many OO languages are being stretched to incorporate
> elements of functional programming, and vice versa.

The problem has two faces:

  -- given a fixed language, how do you best solve it? I consider
this aspect the critical one.
  -- change the language so that the solution becomes easy to
formulate. I consider this aspect the fun one.

While I agree that solving the problem in a language with multiple
dispatch is appealing, I think that a language designer must weight
the pros and cons of these features, and based on this, multiple
dispatch has too many disadvantages at the moment to make it into
mainstream languages.

;; ---

Of course in PLT Scheme, you can define your own class system and
language via a module. And if you have time, I recommend playing with
Swindle.

-- Matthias