[plt-scheme] Re: What does the Scheme file extension ".ss" stand for?

From: Mitch (mwand1 at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 20 07:41:47 EST 2008

IIRC, Chris Haynes used ".s" because he liked to save characters.  (I
seem to recall that he used to end his files with a ")" character,
rather than )-RET, for the same reason.  But this might have been
somebody else...)

He used .s for Scheme program files and .ss for compiled or library
files. Or it might have been Kent Dybvig who introduced ".ss" for
compiled files, since Chris, Dan, and I didn't have a compiler way
back then.

Somehow the .ss stuck.  I suspect this is because people saw the .ss
on the library files, especially in Chez.

I never saw the merits of .ss; I use .scm (pronounced "Scheme") on my
own files.

I never saw the connection between .ss and SS until this conversation.

I'm cc'ing Chris, Kent, and Dan for comments.

--Mitch