[plt-scheme] Compile MzScheme to use OS threads

From: Jens Axel Soegaard (jensaxel at soegaard.net)
Date: Tue Feb 19 12:40:15 EST 2008

Pinku Surana skrev:
> In "Inside PLT MzScheme", it says MzScheme is basically a single
> threaded runtime. But way back in version 103p, it says: "On a few
> platforms, including Windows, Solaris, and Linux, MzScheme can be
> compiled to map each Scheme thread to a separate operating system
> thread. The advantage of the OS-thread configuration is that different
> Scheme threads can take advantage of different processors on a multi-
> processor machine."
>
> That's what I want. Has support for this been removed, or is it still
> possible to compile
> mzscheme to use OS threads? How? I compiled with pthreads, but that
> didn't appear to work.

Version 103 was from 2000 (*) - a long time ago. On single CPU machines
it is faster not to use OS threads (not to mention that it easier to
implement threads without them). If you want OS threads in order to make
use of multiple CPUs then presently your best option is to start several
instances of MzScheme and let them communicate via tcp.

(*) http://download.plt-scheme.org/chronology/

--
Jens Axel Søgaard