[plt-scheme] What does the Scheme file extension ".ss" stand for?

From: Jakub Piotr Cłapa (jpc-ml at zenburn.net)
Date: Mon Feb 18 21:51:38 EST 2008

Doug Orleans wrote:
> Jakub Piotr C,AE��apa writes:

Looks like Unicode is still a problem sometimes. ;]

>  > Michael Vanier wrote:
>  > > What's wrong with using ".scheme" as the extension?  Java has blazed a
>  > > path of glory in this regard...
>  > >
>  > > (No, I'm not serious.)
>  >
>  > Why are you not? We've had LFN for more than a decade. 8.3 is almost
>  > like COBOL... ;-)
>
> Yeah, file systems today can handle Unicode, right?  Why not ".λ"?

All my file systems can (both Linux and OS X). I use several Unicode
characters (apart from diacritics from my native language) to add visual
marks to long file names. For example:

Composable and Compilable Macros • You Want it When? « M. Flatt (ICFP 2002)

Maybe I'm a pervert but I like it more than ``macromod.pdf''.

Windows XP also works without problems with Unicode file names. Not to
mention the excelent Unicode support in PLT Scheme (way better than in
Python 2.x for example).

We deserve Unicode just like we deserve long file names, 8-bit safe mail
transfer and more than 640kB RAM. ;)

--
regards,
Jakub Piotr Cłapa