[plt-scheme] Re: srfi 41 for PLT

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Mon Feb 18 21:19:16 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chongkai Zhu" <czhu at cs.utah.edu>
To: "Jos Koot" <jos.koot at telefonica.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:04 AM
Subject: Re: srfi 41 for PLT

> Please explain (to the list). Many thanks.
>
> Chongkai
>
> Eli Barzilay wrote:
>> On Feb 15, Jos Koot wrote:
>>
>>> 1: there is still a problem with the van Tonder promises as now
>>> implemented in PLT Scheme.
>>>

>> What problem?

Below is my conversation with Phil Bewig on this. It clearly shows the
problem. In the conversation with Phil Bewig with 'Eli's version' I mean:

(define (force promise)
  (let ((p (promise-p promise)))
    (cond ((procedure? p) (let ((promise* (p)))
                            (if (not (pair? (promise-p promise)))
                                (begin (set-promise-p! promise (promise-p
promise*))
                                       (set-promise-p! promise* promise)))
                            (force promise)))
          ((pair? p)      (car p))
          ((promise? p)   (force p))
          (else           (error "Not a promise")))))

The cond-clause ((promise? p) (force p)) does not lift. Reading back the
post-finalization discussion of srfi 45 again, it is not quite clear to me
whether the above code comes from Eli Barzilay or from Andre van Tonder.
Anyway, as far as I know the current implementation in PLT is based on the
above code (generalized for multiple values by Eli Barzilay and prohibiting
a promise to be forced while being forced) As Eli has pointed out, the
solution I give below is not nice, for a force call is made in non-tail
position. Phil Bewig decided to return to the original srfi 45 in the form
as it was finalized. I think that is good for srfi 41. Phil Bewig has used
other names for the syntaxes and procedures, but the correspondence is clear
I think.

See also the post finalization discussion of srfi 45. Hope this explains
things.
Jos Koot