[plt-scheme] Debugging through eval?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Sun Feb 17 23:07:13 EST 2008

On Feb 18, Majorinc, Kazimir wrote:
> If we debug
>
> (eval '(begin (define x 1)
>               (display x)
>               (display (* x x))))
>
> single step skips over whole quoted code. Is it possible to adjust
> debugger so it walks through code? Even better, to do the same for
>
> (eval X)
>
> where X can be expanded either "in place" or in the new, automatically
> opened tab of the IDE? I don't know how complicated it could be, but it
> might be significant improvement for those who use eval.

The debugger (and the stepper, and errortrace, and syntactic coverage
etc) annotate your code -- they basically insert new code into your
own code.  So they will not work with any code that they don't see,
and they will not change any existing random lists that might turn to
code by sending them to eval.  (Maybe they could change eval so that
it adds the annotation on its data, but by then the data is just a
source-less sexpr.)