[plt-scheme] Has anyone read the book 'Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming'?

From: Benjamin L. Russell (dekudekuplex at yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 4 22:20:42 EST 2008

I have read part of that book as well.  Somewhat
similarly to SICP, CTM starts out at an elementary
level, and rapidly becomes more challenging.  My
impression was that CTM is an updated, multi-paradigm
version of SICP covering similar topics at a similar
level of difficulty.  It seems to assume a similar
level of logical sophistication as SICP.  The chapters
in CTM apparently aim to be as complete as possible,
at the expense of at least sometimes being quite
verbose, unlike SICP, which is comparatively succinct
but occasionally leaves out important details of some
exercises.  Some of the chapters in CTM can be very
long, and the book is quite thick.  The book seems to
adopt the approach of leaving no academic stone
unturned.  The book adopts a highly academic approach,
quite similarly to SICP.

One difficulty that I had in following that book was
the lack of a good tutorial for Oz on the Mozart/Oz
Web site.  Oz, unlike Scheme, has a so-called "kernel
language," to which the rest of the full Oz language
can be reduced.  The rest of the language is just
syntactic sugar for this kernel language.  I witnessed
at least one case in which a subtle semantic question
about the Oz language was explained on the
mozart-users mailing list in terms of this kernel
language.  However, compared to the syntactic sugar,
this kernel language can be more difficult to
understand.

Recently, I heard that the constraint-based music
composition system Strasheela
(http://strasheela.sourceforge.net/strasheela/doc/)
contains a significantly easier to follow tutorial
than the official Oz tutorial.

Benjamin L. Russell