[plt-scheme] Why do layman programmers care about Currying?

From: Grant Rettke (grettke at acm.org)
Date: Wed Dec 31 11:46:54 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 12:26 AM, Anthony Cowley <acowley at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 11:12 PM, Grant Rettke <grettke at acm.org> wrote:
>> Why do layman (working programmers) care about Currying? Or how are
>> they applied in daily use to help one out?

> There are many cases where Curried functions can be convenient, but
> I'll just pick one class of examples. In FP, one is often passing
> around bundles of state in the form of parameters to a function.

I see. I was sort of wondering about that, because that is all I could
come up with. Is this an idiomatic FP approach to managing such state?

PLT's define seems to make it easy to do something so:

(define (((collect-answers a1) a2) a3)
  ; do something with them
  (list a1 a2 a3))

What is the general approach for keeping track of when the function's
work is "done" though? Having it callback a thunk perhaps?

Posted on the users mailing list.