Untyped Scheme should be built on Typed Scheme? WAS: Re:[plt-scheme] macro question

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Mon Dec 22 12:29:30 EST 2008

In a truly functional language, there are procedures (or functions) that
cannot even be proven to halt, let alone to halt with what kind of value.
Although rather expensive in terms of processor cycles, PLT's contract
system provides an acceptible compromise  (at least in theory). I guess that
a typed scheme (whether being the root or the target of an untyped scheme
does not concern me) I think a typed scheme should be implemented such as to
admit that it cannot in all cases infer the types of the values produced by
functions/procedures. I am not an expert in this area, but I guess that
building a fully safe typed functional language is like bypassing the
halting problem.
Jos

Posted on the users mailing list.