[plt-scheme] mred, bitmaps, and X memory usage/leak

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 15 07:55:10 EST 2008

At Mon, 15 Dec 2008 02:34:01 -0500 (EST), Dimitris Vyzovitis wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Dimitris Vyzovitis wrote:
>
> > After running a number of animation steps (about a 1000), X memory usage
> > climbs to over 1GB, even when I explicitly collect-garbage. X memory is not
> > released until I kill the process (at which point the memory is released).
>
> Leak trigger attached.
> 1) fire top
> 2) mred -iqz
> > (require "xleak.ss")
> > (go)
> 3) sort top by memory (M) and watch X's memory go nooooooorth

I'm not able to reproduce the problem so far. I've tried running the
program under x86_64 Linux and the X11 build for Mac OS X (as well as
normal Mac OS X).

Can you think of anything special about your configuration? Or can you
reproduce the problem yourself on multiple machines (which would
suggest that I'm just not running it right)?

> PS: terrible flicker!

Use the 'no-autoclear style for `canvas%'.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.