[plt-scheme] syntax identifier used out of context

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 11 14:59:37 EST 2008

You could move `bar2' out of `foo' using `define-for-syntax',

 (define-for-syntax (bar2 stx3)
   (syntax-case stx3 ()
     ((_ q) #'(+ 1 q))))

and then it works to replace the lambda with `bar2', as you expected.

You could also leave the lambda so that the expansion of `x' refers to
`bar2', in which base `bar2' needs to be a macro, but still outside of
`foo':

 (define-syntax (bar2 stx3)
   (syntax-case stx3 ()

 (define-sytax (foo stx)
   (syntax-case stx ....))

If you keep the `bar2' definition inside of `foo' and if `foo' returns
a syntax object that refers to `bar2', then you get an out-of-context
error. That's because a syntax object captures binding information, but
not values; the macro expander knows that `bar2' was lexically bound,
but the dynamic invocation of the `foo' transformer has already
returned at the point for expanding `bar2', so there's no value for the
binding in the compile-time environment.