[plt-scheme] In-line LaTeX in REPL

From: Mark Engelberg (mark.engelberg at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 2 16:06:02 EST 2008

I recently needed to do something like this.

First, I noticed that there is a website that will generate a latex
gif from a URL with latex appended to the end.
For example, http://www.codecogs.com/eq.latex?1+sin(x) gives you a gif
of 1+sin(x).

See http://www.codecogs.com/components/equationeditor/equation_install.php
for details.

So I shelled out to a program (curl) to download the gif by URL to a
temp directory, and then in Scheme converted it to an image snip, so
it would appear in the REPL.

I would like a better way, but this worked for me.

--Mark