[plt-scheme] Re: The Philosophy of DrScheme

From: Greg Woodhouse (gregory.woodhouse at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 1 13:26:16 EST 2008

A minor nit: There is no reason why mathematics cannot be taught as an
active process of discovery. The problem (well, one problem) is that the
only way to really learn mathematics is by doing, and that means
calculating. Still, there is no reason it can't be interesting. I'll give
you an example: one thing that always intrigued me, even as a child, is that
there are only 5 regular polyhedra (the tetrahedron, octahedron, cube,
dodecahedron and icosohedron), but I didn't realize until much later how
accessible a result it really is. You could almost make it a homework
exercise! Start with Euler's famous formula V - E + F = 2 (for a topological
sphere) and then suppose you have refgular polyhedron the faces of which are
n-gons. It all comes down to counting: If there are m of them, how many
times will you count each vertex in m times n vertices per face? How many
times will you count each edge? What happens if you plug these numbers in
Euler's formula? Even if youer students take euler's formula on faith, the
result is still impressive.