[plt-scheme] configure error: C compiler cannot create executables

From: Jon Rafkind (workmin at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 29 23:23:07 EDT 2008

Doug Orleans wrote:
> Hi, I recently reinstalled Ubuntu 8.04 from DVD.  I checked out the
> PLT trunk from Subversion, but when I run configure I get this error:
>
> dougo at quiet:/usr/local/plt/src$ ./configure
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for C compiler default output file name...
> See `config.log' for more details.
>
> Here's the relevant section of config.log:
>
> gcc version 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)
> configure:2673: $? = 0
> configure:2680: gcc -V >&5
> gcc: '-V' option must have argument
>
> --dougorleans at gmail.com

I have ubuntu 8.04 with the same exact version of gcc. In config.log I
see the same messages about -V needing an option, but it continues on
without complaining that gcc cannot create an executable. Is there more
to config.log after that -V line?

Also, fwiw, you should create a new subdirectory and do configure &&
make from there.
src $ md b; cd b
src/b $ ../configure && make

Posted on the users mailing list.