Livecoding HtDP (was Re: [plt-scheme] Re: More pedagogic stuff)

From: Dave Griffiths (dave at pawfal.org)
Date: Thu Aug 14 05:09:22 EDT 2008

> On Aug 13, 2008, at 11:27, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
>> But if you follow HtDP to its extreme (not in print) you will
>> naturally build abstractions (aka frameworks and libraries and
>> friends) that make it possible to build even faster than the "quick
>> guys" and at least as well.
>
> Just thinking out loud, since I'm at SIGGRAPH, and graphics and movies
> are all around.  I'm trying to figure out a way to make a DrScheme
> viral video.
>
> To demo HtDP in the extreme, I wonder if we could make a short movie
> of an application growing and following the design recipe?  The screen
> would show source code as it grows from something really small to
> something that accomplishes a goal.  The narrator would represent the
> programmer's thoughts.  It would be like watching over the shoulder of
> someone who knew what he was doing.

This is the essence of livecoding - the narrator is an interesting
addition though, I don't think any livecoding performances have featured
one yet (normally comments are a way to explain what you are doing to the
audience).

> I've seen a video demo on this list:  fluxus [1].  I remember music
> and flashing colors.

There is a video of a visuals performance I did quite recently with fluxus
here: http://blip.tv/file/921513 It was livecoding from scratch (i.e.
starting with nothing), but the video shows extracts of the gig.
There is also a really nice video here of budapest's 'no copy paste'
livecoding mzscheme/fluxus and pure data: http://www.vimeo.com/694298

A more goal orientated example of livecoding HtDP would be interesting to
see. As you are saying, the impression I hear sometimes after gigs is that
you can tell a lot more about the thought process involved with
programming by following someone doing it live, this is often from people
who previously had little experience of programming, and found it
difficult to understand. Livecoding can be interesting to them, as it
underlines the human element in the process.

cheers,

dave

Posted on the users mailing list.