[plt-scheme] Apparent inconsistencies between original spirit of RnRS and R6RS [Fw: Ann: Sketchy LISP, Third Edition]

From: Michael Vanier (mvanier42 at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 6 23:59:51 EDT 2008

Benjamin,

I think you're heading into a massive flame war.  There are a variety of
very strongly-held opinions on this topic, and there is no way to make
everyone happy.  My personal opinion is that the changes in R6RS Scheme
(which seem to have been largely driven by the PLT team, correct me if
I'm wrong) are absolutely necessary to make Scheme a truly _usable_
language for writing large programs in, rather than a fun toy language
and/or great teaching language.  One piece of evidence in this direction
is that many of the features in R6RS are features that most Schemes
implement already, but in completely incompatible ways.  A good standard
helps everyone.

The real question is this: can you point to specific features in R6RS
that you feel are completely unnecessary or badly specified?

Mike