[plt-scheme] Which packages on Planet work with v4?

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 5 10:58:47 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Matt Jadud <jadudm at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure if including things in the v4 repos by default is a good
> idea. When I tried to update a library there, I found that the
> majority of the libraries I depended on had not been ported. As I
> don't have the time to update all the libraries I depend on myself, I
> need to pull my library until the world catches up.
>
> Basically, automatically promoting v3 libraries to v4 makes PLaneT
> seem like a place where "code that may-or-may-not work" lives.
>
> Cheers,
> Matt

On the other hand, if we don't, packages that do still work would be
unavailable until such time as their author went in and enabled them.
Since it is not always clear how to contact an author, or when they
will respond, it seems better (to me, at least) to make potentially
bad code available than to make potentially good code unavailable.

Perhaps we might have improved the situation by leaving old packages
out of the v4 repository, but providing a way to explicitly access the
v372 repository from v4 code.  I just made that up as I typed it,
though, so no one may have thought of it before.

--
Carl Eastlund