[plt-scheme] sicp exercise 2.23

From: Benjamin L. Russell (dekudekuplex at yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 29 23:35:21 EDT 2008

No, don't use "begin"!  One of the main points of this exercise is to learn to use side-effects.

Here is my solution and the results of a sample run:

--
(define nil '())
;Value: nil

(define (for-each proc items)
  (if (null? items)
      nil
      (for-each proc (for-each-helper proc items))))
;Value: for-each

(define (for-each-helper proc items)
  (if (null? (proc (car items)))
      nil
      (cdr items)))
;Value: for-each-helper

(for-each (lambda (x) (newline) (display x))
	  (list 57 321 88))

57
321
88
;Value: ()
--

It's actually quite simple; just use a side-effect in the if-clause.  No need for even a "cond".  Nobody said a test-clause couldn't be used for a side effect!

Benjamin L. Russell