a single text fulfilling mathematical prerequisites for SICP? [Was: Re: [plt-scheme] PLT Scheme and SICP]

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 21 07:53:42 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Benjamin L. Russell
<dekudekuplex at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anybody know of a single title that contains all
>  of the assumed domain knowledge for SICP; in
>  particular, the  mathematical prerequisites?

Nope.  But if you want just the prog. lang. knowledge in SICP these
exercises aren't necessary.

>  * a means of developing creativity for solving
>  mathematical proofs, such as Exercise 1.13, where it
>  is necessary to prove the following:
>
>   Fib(n) = phi^n/sqrt(5)
>
>  where phi = (1 + sqrt(5))/2, a.k.a. the Golden Ratio.
>
>  (see the tinyurl http://tinyurl.com/3rbakp).

This one took me some time.  The trick is that you need the identity
for the golden ratio given in 1.22 (phi^2 = phi + 1).  I didn't show
that phi^k - psi^k is the closest integer to phi^k, and I'm not really
sure how.  I guess using the binomial expansion and canceling terms
would do it.

I imagine a tool like Maple or Mathematica would be useful for
exploring these problems, and they might meet your "mathematical
scratchpad" requirement.  I don't have proficiency in either, though.

N.

Posted on the users mailing list.