[plt-scheme] input requested from people who care about licenses of scheme libraries

From: Grant Rettke (grettke at acm.org)
Date: Sun Apr 13 14:15:32 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 4:18 AM, Neil Van Dyke <neil at neilvandyke.org> wrote:
> I'm thinking of distributing most of my *new* Scheme libraries of under the
> more restrictive GPL 3 or AGPL 3 licenses.  (I plan to keep new versions of
> existing libraries under their existing licenses.)
>
> My original motivation for picking LGPL 2.1 over GPL 2.1 is that I thought
> LGPL was the best way to promote use of Scheme in my own small way.  With
> Scheme now having good name-recognition among software techies, Scheme has
> less need of help.

Open-source is the right way to promote Scheme, and at this stage in
the game LGPL or BSD is the right way to do it.

The great thing about LGPL and BSD is that if people want to share
their changes, they will form communities and do so. If they can't or
don't want to share changes, they don't. You get the most bang for the
buck since the license alone is not the primary motivator for being
open, it is the value of the software.

Posted on the users mailing list.