[plt-scheme] mred in console mode on Debian

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 13 10:16:53 EDT 2008

Your REPL thread and the thread that handles GUI events are one and
the same thread. This means you're blocking the handling of events by
the "read" that is sitting waiting for input in the REPL.

You should be able to see this by evaluating (yield) a few times in
the REPL to handle the queue'd up events.

Probably the simplest thing is for you to do to fix this is to create
a new thread to handle the REPL and have the evaluator of that REPL
queue callbacks to that one thread to do the actual evaluation, so you
don't accidentally introduce concurrency into your program. You might
find this ICFP paper helpful:

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/scheme/pubs/#icfp99-ffkf

(Continue on this road for too long and you'll end up with DrScheme :).

Robby