[plt-scheme] Leads on Liberal Arts Education and Programming

From: Benjamin L. Russell (dekudekuplex at yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 11 02:47:36 EDT 2008

How about the following paper?

"Educational Pearl:  The Structure and Interpretation
of the Computer Science Curriculum,"
by Matthias Felleisen, Robert Bruce Findler, Matthew
Flatt, and Shriram Krishnamurthi
http://www.cs.brown.edu/~sk/Publications/Papers/Published/fffk-htdp-vs-sicp-journal/paper.pdf

This paper discusses the design rationale for HtDP.
In particular, it details the differences between HtDP
and SICP, and describes why HtDP is more suited to
teaching programming to beginners than SICP.  (I'm
somewhat surprised that nobody else on this list,
including the authors, has mentioned it yet. ;-))

Another paper that I would suggest is the following (I
don't have a URL for this one, but here is a
reference):

K. B. Bruce, A. Danyluk, and T. Murtaugh. Why
structural recursion should be taught before arrays in
CS1. In Proc. 36th SIGCSE Technical Symp. on Computer
Science Education (SIGCSE), pages 246--250, St. Louis,
Missouri, Feb. 2005. ACM Press.

Hope this helps!

Benjamin L. Russell