[plt-scheme] Best place to install custom current-module-name-resolver?

From: Derick Eddington (derick.eddington at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 10 20:21:18 EDT 2008

     A. On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 17:17 -0500, Grant Rettke wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Derick Eddington
> <derick.eddington at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  I'm not sure which problem you're trying to understand.  The technical
> >  problem I mentioned or my end goal?
>
> The end goal.

It is to allow the use of "compatibility" libraries across R6RS
implementations.  The purpose is to have portable automatic selection of
libraries which use implementation-specific features, depending on the
implementation being used.  So, a (foo) library you want to use on
multiple implementations imports the (foo compat) library which exports
and maybe wraps the implementation-specific features in a common way.
Under MzScheme, foo/compat.mzscheme.ss will be chosen but not
foo/compat.ikarus.ss nor foo/compat.larceny.ss.  This is trying to solve
the same problem as SRFIs 0 and 7 but they can't be used for
parameterizing the (import ---) form of R6RS programs or libraries to
accomplish: "when running on mzscheme, need to (import (mzscheme)) to
get `format'".  It is already supported by Ikarus, and Larceny is
planning to support it.

.sls stands for "scheme library source", which distinguishes from .ss
which could stand for "scheme script" for top-level programs.  I
included .sch because Larceny uses it.  I think .sls is cool and I've
made a number of libraries using it, but I'm not that set on it, but
since I'm already necessarily trying to extend the file extensions
MzScheme recognizes, I figured why not add these others too.

See:

http://larceny.ccs.neu.edu/larceny-trac/ticket/517

http://groups.google.com/group/ikarus-users/browse_thread/thread/c0dcd1a7da292946/56df6ce71df593f4#56df6ce71df593f4

--