[plt-scheme] likely 3.99.0.22 -> 3.99.0.23 incompatibility: hash tables

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Mon Apr 7 19:25:38 EDT 2008

Matthew Flatt wrote:

> While we're cleaning up the language in v4, we'd like to do something
> about the API for using hash tables:

I appreciate and support the idea of simplifying the syntax, but the use
of both "table" and "hash-table" confuses me. I suppose it is related to
this:

> * Add some property for creating new kinds of tables. The property
>    value supplies an implementation for `table-ref', etc.

Can you sketch an example of how this would work?

I would like to be able to use this datatype in a more functional
manner. That's true for vectors as well, though there I suspect that
what I need is a "write-once" version of make-vector where the function
mapping integers to values can reference other defined values -- this is
what is needed for many table-driven algorithms (e.g. dynamic
programming). But I guess I can write a macro for this, rather than
asking for it to be a primitive. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.