[plt-scheme] New Match Implementation

From: Dimitris Vyzovitis (vyzo at media.mit.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 3 15:04:38 EDT 2008

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Sam TH wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Dimitris Vyzovitis <vyzo at media.mit.edu> wrote:
> [snip]
> First, using `comp=?' is not sufficient here, because of the presence
> of the JIT.  But if you have programs on which you can measure the
> speed difference introduced by the extra bindings, I'd be interested.

I can compile some microbenchmarks, but I think the old match
performance tests with random lists (the ones recently moved to the attic)
might do.

> >  See (using matthew's comp=?):
> [snip]
> >  >
> >  > This is something that can, and hopefully will, be improved.  It's a
> >  > fairly straightforward optimization, but not one that I've had time to
> >  > implement yet.
> >
> >  If you get around doing that, can you generalize it for (app ...) patterns
> >  and not just the built-in expanders?
>
> I've committed a reordering pass which should alleviate some of the
> redundant checking here.  But I'm not sure what you want me to
> optimize about (app ...) patterns.  Can you explain?

basically merge branches that call the same function by name:
(app foo pat1)
(app foo pat2)

This will ensure that custom expands that expand on structs (for example)
will do the right thing and behave just like a builtin would do.

-- vyzo

Posted on the users mailing list.