[plt-scheme] applying set! on the contents of a variable

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 29 14:37:15 EDT 2007

Harsha,

Variable names cannot be passed around as first-class objects.
However, I can think of a few ways you can work with this.  One, if
you need to update a set of names to be passed around dynamically, you
could set up a hash table instead of using separate variables.  Two,
instead of storing symbols as your keys, you could store getter/setter
functions for the variables.  Three, you could always write a
hard-coded getter/setter function that uses 'case' to match symbols to
known variable names.  In general, though, variable names are not
first-class.

I hope this helps.

--Carl

--