[plt-scheme] refactoring support in DrScheme

From: Stephen De Gabrielle (stephen at degabrielle.name)
Date: Sat Sep 29 11:13:01 EDT 2007

Hi,

The recent discussion of the IDE features in DrScheme in the saved window
configurations<http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2007-September/020778.html>and
"Projects"<http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2007-September/020806.html>threads
was good and got me thinking about and using the syntax checker and
the module browser.

Syntax checker offers a identifier rename facility.

Do any others exist? I am thinking of things like;

>    - ExtractMethod <http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ExtractMethod> -- make a
>    submethod out of the selected text. If there is already an equivalent
>    method, optionally invoke that instead.
>    - Inline method -- put the invoked code in place of the invocation.
>    This even works for methods in other classes.
>    - Move to component -- move the code for a method to another class
>    and invoke it
>
> - Kent Beck <http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?KentBeck>
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?RefactoringBrowser

Cheers,

Stephen

PS it is good to be reminded of simple but incredibly useful things like the
(define ...) button, Show Program Contour, and split.

On 9/28/07, Geoffrey S. Knauth <geoff at knauth.org> wrote:

> On Sep 27, Robby Findler wrote:
> > The module browser has "ignore lib paths" option. Maybe it makes
> > sense to either use that, or to change the module browser to match
> > whatever seems best. Personally, my experience suggests that
> > ignoring lib/planet paths and just do all relative requires will
> > work well. Ie, don't restrict based on dirs.
>
> I wouldn't mind seeing all the files I require in a module, so long
> as there is an equivalent to Emacs's C-x C-q to toggle the read-only
> state of a tab [buffer].  toggle-read-only helps me not damage code.

Cheers,

Stephen

--
Stephen De Gabrielle
s.degabrielle at ucl.ac.uk
Telephone +44 (0)20 7679 5242 (x45242)
Mobile                  079 851 890 45
http://www.uclic.ucl.ac.uk/annb/MaSI.html
University College London Interaction Centre
Remax House - 31/32 Alfred Place
London - WC1E 7DP