[plt-scheme] saved window configurations

From: Anton van Straaten (anton at appsolutions.com)
Date: Wed Sep 26 22:04:22 EDT 2007

Grant Rettke wrote:
> On 9/26/07, Anton van Straaten <anton at appsolutions.com> wrote:
>
>>Grant Rettke wrote:
>>
>>>DrScheme is more of an editor than an IDE. There is no notion of
>>>"projects" for example.
>>
>>I don't see how that's relevant.
>

> I apologize for my confusion that when you pointed out Mylar, a
> task-based focused UI whose goal is to become a first-class part of
> the IDE by integrating rich and offline editing for repositories such
> as Bugzilla, Trac, and JIRA, it seemed relevant to discuss just
> exactly how the goals of DrScheme relate to that! :)

I agree, that seems like a relevant discussion, so let's move on and
have that discussion.

Matthias provided the basis for an answer, which I'll excerpt from:

 > Instead, it is our goal to put things into the language if they are
 > needed to create a product.

Tracking of bugs, issues, and/or tasks is an integral part of the
creation of any non-trivial product, particularly anything that's worked
on by more than one person.  For example, PLT apparently uses the GNU
Gnats system for that purpose:

   http://bugs.plt-scheme.org/query/

In addition, DrScheme includes an option to "Submit Bug Report" on its
Help menu.  So DrScheme already does part of what Mylyn does, in the
interests of improving PLT Scheme itself.  So it would seem rather
inconsistent to argue that some integration of task tracking
capabilities doesn't fit the goals of DrScheme.  (Even though task
tracking isn't necessarily something to integrate into the *language* as
such.)

However, I wasn't actually arguing for doing that (yet!)  Instead, I was
saying that generalizing the idea of saving a list of open files would
provide for future extensibility in that direction, among others.  Since
DrScheme is an extensible environment, providing features in a form that
can easily be reused by other extensions seems appropriate.

Anton

Posted on the users mailing list.