[plt-scheme] saved window configurations

From: Anton van Straaten (anton at appsolutions.com)
Date: Wed Sep 26 13:27:05 EDT 2007

Grant Rettke wrote:
> On 9/26/07, Anton van Straaten <anton at appsolutions.com> wrote:
>
>>Just to introduce some scope creep, and in the interests of leapfrogging
>>a full recapitulation of the history of IDEs, I think it'd be a good
>>idea to make the list of open files a kind of first-class entity, that
>>could e.g. be saved in a directory and reopened later.
>

> DrScheme is more of an editor than an IDE. There is no notion of
> "projects" for example.

I don't see how that's relevant.  What I described is a generalization
of a feature already being discussed for inclusion in DrScheme, so you
can hardly argue that the functionality in question isn't useful in the
DrScheme context.

Perhaps using Mylyn as an example was too much of a culture shock.
However, even e.g. Firefox supports something similar: "Bookmark all
tabs".  You can later select such a bookmark and "Open in tabs".[*]
Again, the underlying feature here is a persistent list of references to
files.

To implement the original feature being discussed, it'll be necessary to
implement such a persistent list of references to files.  I'm just
pointing out that such a list has wider application than the one purpose
it's being proposed for.

Anton

[*] I suppose now I'm going to be told that DrScheme isn't a browser.
Well, except for the part that is.  ;-)

Posted on the users mailing list.