[plt-scheme] The Lambda Calculus behind functional programming

From: Corey Sweeney (corey.sweeney at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 1 20:04:24 EDT 2007

On 9/1/07, Jos Koot <jos.koot at telefonica.net> wrote:

> [...]

Actually dynamic reduction stratagies are one of my original goals,
but I havn't gotten that implemented yet. Also instead of calling it a
compiler, i should probably call it a "compiler"  (with quotes), as it
may or may not count as a compiler to a particular person depending on
the individuals precice definition of a compiler.

> > Now when I say I've implemented these, that dosn't mean that these are
> > all finished.  That just means that I've gotten each of them working
> > for at least 1 case.  For example the scheme like syntax is pretty
> > much fully completed, whereas the 80486 virutal machine only works for
> > a handfull of instructions so far, which are just the instructions
> > needed to complete a specific task. There is a substantial ammount of
> > work to do before the system will be ready for "prime time".
> >

> > ....Now back to the discussion:
> >
> > I did not know  auto-currying was addressed in the documentation.  too
> > bad i didn't know that before I wrote my own :)
>
> I dont know which documentation you mean.
> What I do mean by the term 'autocurrying' is to interpret
> (lambda (x y ...) body) as
> (lambda (x) (lambda (y ...) body))
> In Barendregt it is introduced as a "convenient notation"
> (lambda argument-name-with-arrow dot body)
> Barendregt does not consider this to be part of LC itself.
> It is simply an abbreviation (for the human reader).
> Barendrecht does not introduce it as a well formed expression of the lambda
> calculus itself.

That is exactly what I implmented as "autocurrying", and I fully agree
with Barendregt.  autocurrying is a function of the editor (part of
the GUI IDE), not part of the language semantics.

> > So yes, scheme can be brought to the same syntax as the lambda
> > calculus, and my point with this was that a introductory programming
> > course in LC could be made to be almsot exactly the same as a
> > introductory functional programming course in scheme.  The only
> > important difference would be the day that the student asks how
> > numbers work, and you tell him to define addition (or multiplication
> > as shown below)
> >
> > (( (lambda (m) (lambda (n) ((m (lambda (x) (+ n x))) 0)))
> >   3)
> > 7)
> >
> > In LC this is 21.
>
> I suppose LC means Lambda Calculus. Does it? In my limited ears the above sounds
> as though LC means something else.

yes LC refers to lambda calculus.  (that notation got started sometime
earlier in this thread)

> In Lambda Calculus there is no such thing as a number.
> There are several ways to represent numbers by means of lambda terms.
> And there is a way to represent lambda terms by the representatives of numbers
> (Goedel numbering)
> Do you mean that your "LC" converts numbers into, for instance, Church numerals?

Yes that's exactly what I mean.  it takes a syntax similar to scheme,
in this case, it might be the string "3", and converts it to (lambda
(s) (lambda (z) (s (s (s z))))). Again this is a function of the
editor, as it does not belong in LC.  And that's what I mean by a
"scheme like syntax".

> > In scheme this is:
> > . procedure application: expected procedure, given: 3; arguments were:
> > #<procedure>
> >

> > In LC (lambda (s) (lamba (z) (s (s (s z))))) and 3 are equivilant.  In
> > scheme they are not.
>
> I disagree. 3 is a number. It is not the same as "left half square bracket
> number right half square bracket", which is an abbreviation for a Church numeral
> (or a numeral of some other representation of numbers as long as it is clear
> which representation has been choosen)
>

> > Scheme implements the lambda of lambda calculus, but is missing all
> > the libraries needed for LC development. The libraries can be
> > implemented as scheme functions, but you still need to do the 3 ->
> > (lambda (s) (lamba (z) (s (s (s z))))) translations.
> >
> > How clear was that?
>
> For Me? Not very clear I am afraid, but I am sure that is to blame on me :)
> Jos Koot

Your guess was correct, so we can't be doing that bad ;).

Corey

--
((lambda (y) (y y)) (lambda (y) (y y)))