[plt-scheme] The Lambda Calculus behind functional programming

From: hendrik at topoi.pooq.com (hendrik at topoi.pooq.com)
Date: Sat Sep 1 16:14:49 EDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 02:53:58PM +0200, Jos Koot wrote:
> [...]

formal??? probably not.  Informal? maybe.  The essence that has to be
conveyed is
  You've got a real number when you can approximate it as precisely as
you want.
  No need for Cauchy sequences.

You can even discuss what's not a real number then -- such as physical
measurements, which are ultimately limited by the precision of our
measuring instruments.