[plt-scheme] Planned changes for PLT Scheme 4.0

From: Ivanyi Peter (pivanyi at freemail.hu)
Date: Mon Nov 19 07:13:35 EST 2007

Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> írta:

> Ivanyi, if you really wanted to tackle this issue, you may
wish to
> study the Son of the Lisp machine paper from 1999 that
Matthew
> presented in Paris. Then as you experiment with the MrEd
code base,
> try to get the new wxWindows version to accomplish just
that much. If
> you can, turn it into an open-source project for a while
and I bet
> other people here will help you with this task.

I think there is a big difference between our views. I do
not want a new
"research project", or a project at all. I simply would like
to have a
modern, nice look with MzScheme. I am more of an application
developer than anything else. I "went through" a series of
Lisp, Scheme
implementations and tried to use them for "real"
applications. At the
moment I am with PLT-Scheme as the language, actually the
environment, provides everything that I need. Except a nice,
modern
GUI with styles, engines, whatever.
I would like to improve on that. In the look. I do not feel
confident
to change the view how we would handle GUI, somthing more
functional, etc.
I do not know how to do the improvement. Yet.
I have considered and I am still considering several
options. Just to
list a few ideas:
- Change MrEd with new wxWidgets
- Change MrEd with other toolkits
- Forget MrEd as a whole, only keep the window creation
capability and
  use OpenGL for drawing and for the User Interface (This
would allow
  me to change again to other implementations, when PLT-Scheme
  goes to a way where I do not want to.)
- And so on.

I understand Your views, that as a language developer you do
not care
much about GUI. You "play" or want to "play" with other things.

Did I misunderstand something from your post?

Sorry for this "rumble", I just wanted to make clear what my
view is.
I still love PLT-Scheme, thanx for all the great work, and
as You may
have seen I have written some code in it for teaching, for
fun and
for industry, so in the foreseeable future I am with You.

Best regards,

Peter Ivanyi

Világbajnok árak! Váltson most olcsóbb KÖTELEZŐRE!