[plt-scheme] Planned changes for PLT Scheme 4.0

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Sun Nov 18 12:56:03 EST 2007

Matthew Flatt wrote:

> Objects, inheritance, and overriding work brilliantly for GUI
> programming. Unlike so many problems, you really do want to represent
> something that's essentially physical, and so the object concept works
> as advertised.

I agree that GUI programming shows OOP to its best advantage. I am just
not convinced that this is the only way to do GUIs. I also have never
liked the over-reliance on physical metaphors associated with teaching
OO. Objects are an abstraction mechanism, but students don't learn to
deal with them in that fashion.

At any rate, these topics are fodder for one or more PhD theses, and I
don't mean in any way to complain about the underpinnings of a tool
which has been so useful to me. Refactoring MrEd has got to be way down
on the list of priorities. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.