[plt-scheme] Great books on algorithms?

From: Marco Morazan (morazanm at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 8 13:17:46 EST 2007

On 11/8/07, Shriram Krishnamurthi <sk at cs.brown.edu> wrote:
> On 11/8/07, Grant Rettke <grettke at acm.org> wrote:
> >
> > Is this compromise necessary because of today's culture? Are folks so
> > burned out or worried about making ends meet? Or is there no longer a
> > perceived value in understanding "that which we do"? Are folks no
> > longer introspective?
>
> I don't think modern culture helps, but there is also not much
> evidence that the vast majority of the citizens of ancient Greece or
> India or China demonstrated the same degree of introspection as did
> Socrates or the Buddha or Confucius.

Yes, indeed, not every one in ancient Greece, India, or China spent
there life pondering philosophy nor can everyone today afford to
engage in the level of pondering done by those you mention. The
question is whether the large number of college students today are
engaging in enough self-criticism and introspection. We can not make
modern Bohrs out of everyone, but we ought to get most college
graduates to care about doing their chosen jobs well, with pride, and
with enjoyment. Given the numbers we face we can not expect the
dedication of a medievel apprentice, but surely we can do better.

Just my $0.02,

Marco

Posted on the users mailing list.