[plt-scheme] Great books on algorithms?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 8 10:52:00 EST 2007

Marco, I understand your argument(s). The true question is always this:

  given a limited amount of space and time, what do you include?

The conclusion that I have come to is that students in general are
better off with a version of the course/book that emphasizes scaling
programs up and remaining functional over staying with design in the
small and going imperative. We will therefore drop VII and VII and
replace them with 'project materials'. Of course, these chapters will
remain on-line and we will suggest that instructors who have enough
time use them. This may be a part of semester 1 or semester 2.

More generally, you can ask how colleges should allocate the
following goals and what constraints affect the design of a curriculum:

  [1] when to teach program design?
  [1a] when to use abstraction? as in a function that can do the
original task for many different instances
  [1b] when to introduce state? <--- this is our question

  [2] when to introduce type systems as sound and cheap theorem
provers?   [plus run-time contracts?]
  [3] when to introduce the idea that garbage collection isn't
available in all languages and its lack seriously affects modularity
  [4] when to introduce abstractions beyond the procedural
abstraction? this includes classes and modules/functors.
  [5] when to introduce stress tests and how? [replace the easily
designed algorithm with a complex one that performs better]

If I could prevent students from creating 'commercial' apps for 2
years and feeling like they can do it, I would re-order the
introduction of these concepts dramatically. For example, I would
introduce types (and probably run-time contracts) separately from
classes and earlier than classes. As is, HtDC follows HtDP and
introduces both.

BUT, as you are well aware -- and everyone else here -- the world
says that every 'idiot' can create 'Facebook' style AJAX programs in
'24 hours' or less. [Just in case: the quoted terms are trademarks of
certain publishers and companies. They do not have the usual English
meaning. Don't take this as an insult or anything.]

Our students see this as well as everyone's. So we compromise.

-- Matthias