[plt-scheme] Great books on algorithms?

From: Marco Morazan (morazanm at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 8 09:18:17 EST 2007

Dear All,

On 11/8/07, Shriram Krishnamurthi <sk at cs.brown.edu> wrote:
> Marco,
>
> Graduate school?  We're talking about the *first semester* of
> programming.

Yes, of course, we are talking first semester programmers. Some of
them will go on to graduate school and I would like them to be
familiar with the term "mutation." Something got lost in my posting.
I would like for the treatment of mutation (and the use of that lingo
and others like "mutator") to continue so that future graduate
students are familiar with the term(s) (and the issues even if at a
superficial level). I was simply expressing my desire to have
"mutation" continue to be part of the vocabulary they learn.

> Btw, your argument is exactly the same that people use to argue
> against teaching languages like Scheme initially.  You might recognize
> most of this sentence:
>
>  Let's keep in mind the bunch that will go beyond to take a job and
>  need such languages as Java.

Certainly not arguing that. My comment was one of inclusion not
exclusion! Perhaps, I missed something when Matthias stated that
"mutation is going out anyway."

Cheers,

Marco

Posted on the users mailing list.