[plt-scheme] metaphors for local

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Mon Nov 5 17:08:30 EST 2007

I'm enjoying these metaphors for closures. But while we are at it, the
instructors for the HtDP-based course I designed but am not teaching
this term are wondering about metaphors for local. They want something
akin to the stack of books on one's desk, or the cache of library books
on one's shelf. One of them suggested a fresh piece of paper for local
definitions which gets ripped up (recycled?) after the body is
evaluated, but I said, hmmm, you have to be careful or you get dynamic
scope, not lexical scope. So, does anyone have any ideas? --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.