[plt-scheme] Great books on algorithms?

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Sun Nov 4 11:14:01 EST 2007

Shriram wrote:
 >> Anyone had any great fondness of "Functional Data Structures"?
> I would say something, but I should defer to Prabhakar.

Remember the parable of the goat equidistant between two bales of hay?
This is a bale of hay equidistant between two goats.

I've spent some time with Okasaki's "Purely Functional Data Structures"
and there is a lot of good stuff in there. It does tend to lean on
purity, laziness (these two via Haskell), and amortized analysis.
Schemers will have to figure out when a judicious application of
mutation (without going all the way back into traditional DS/Algs
territory) will make things cleaner. Plus, time and space analysis of
Haskell programs is not for the faint of heart.

I also have "Algorithms: A Functional Programming Approach" by Rabhi and
Lapalme, which again is Haskell-based. Again, much good stuff, but not
quite what Schemers need.

Both these books elide over the places where their approaches don't work
as well as the traditional ones. Okasaki has a lovely demonstration of
how pattern-matching makes the implementation of insertion into
red-black balanced binary search trees super-clean (this is also
available a functional pearl in JFP and probably from his website as
well). This yields an implementation with about twenty lines of PLT
Scheme code using match.ss. But deletion is still messy (not worse than
conventionally, but getting there) and he doesn't mention that operation
at all. Rabhi and Lapalme put in space-time analyses when they are
favourable, but in the case of DFS in graphs, instead of admitting that
their implementation is O(n^2) and that you can't really do better than
O(n log n) without using mutation (which makes it linear IF vertices are
a set of contiguous integers so that arrays can be used), they just
leave out the analysis.

I can understand the impulse to not be totally open -- how often has
naive Fibonacci been used to discredit the functional approach? -- but
it does mean that readers of these books have to read between the lines
at times. That shouldn't put anyone off. They are part of a well-stocked
functional programming library. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.