[plt-scheme] The memory limit in DrScheme

From: Jens Axel Søgaard (jensaxel at soegaard.net)
Date: Tue May 29 07:53:28 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I have been experimenting a little with the memory limit
in DrScheme 370 on Windows XP.

My conclusion is that the memory limit works - but that
I need help to find the greatest upper limit not crashing
DrScheme.

If I run the program:

    (define (bomb n)
       (cons n (bomb (+ n 1)))

    (bomb 0)

with an unrealistic high limit such as 50000 megabytes,
DrScheme eventually crashes. That's ok.

If I run "Task Manager" (taskmgr.exr), choose the
tab "Performance" and then read of the available
physical memory I see a number in the vicinity of
1 620 000.

If I enter the limit 1000 (to be on the safe side)
DrScheme still crashes.

If I enter 950 I get the intended message that
the execution was stopped.

Is "Available Physical Memory" the wrong number to
look at?

--
Jens Axel Søgaard