[plt-scheme] scribblings on PLT Scheme 4.0

From: Williams, M. Douglas (M.DOUGLAS.WILLIAMS at saic.com)
Date: Mon May 28 10:44:30 EDT 2007

Since I am certainly one of the set-car! and set-cdr! users that Jacob found in PLaneT, I guess I will weigh in on this one.

One place I use them is when dealing with association lists.  At a fundamental level, they just use cons cells as a two element structure (i.e., and 'association').  While it might have been better to explicitly create that structure, that isn't an option in R5RS from which we get association lists.  In that case, set-car! and set-cdr! are essentially just field setters for associations.  [There is also the matter of the actual list structure for the associations, but you get the idea.]

I also use them, particularly in the Simulation Collection, for efficiency.  Maintaining the various event lists and queues are a significant amount of the processing that takes place.  I use set-cdr! in particular for efficiency there.  A 2x performance hit would be significant.  However, I also encapsulate all of that list manipulation (or mutilation, if you prefer) inside of my own modules to isolate them from user code.

I have objections at all to having the standard list constructors make immutable lists - the vast majority of mine are.  As long as I can create mutable lists where I need them, I'll be quite happy - particularly if I get some GC performance improvement from it.

Doug