[plt-scheme] Re: On C#

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue May 22 17:09:29 EDT 2007

On May 22, Todd O'Bryan wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 09:47 -0500, Grant Rettke wrote:
> > It is so hard to accept that with which we are not familiar.
> >
> > I can't stand reading dark on light for example...as you well know
> > :) (thanks!)
>
> One wonders what on earth the books on your bookshelves must look
> like. :-)

This is a flawed argument, and one that unfortunately (IMO) has led us
to most text work being dark-on-bright.

1. White is the default color of paper, but black is the default on
   screen.

2. Bright background is much more difficult on your eyes when the
   screen is involved.  This was unbearable in the CRT days, but even
   with LCDs dark-on-bright is much more difficult to read.

3. There are many existing differences when typesetting to screen or
   to paper (justification, fonts, rendering) already, having a
   different color scheme should not be surprising.