[plt-scheme] Re: On C#

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue May 22 16:30:45 EDT 2007

On May 22, 2007, at 3:18 PM, Todd O'Bryan wrote:

> Understandable.
>
> I've actually become quite enamored of Python over the past year. It's
> imperative and object-oriented enough that I'm comfortable programming
> in it, given the necessary warping my mind has been through after
> completing most of the standard undergrad CS curriculum at a U.S.
> school
> and being forced to teach the AP Computer Science curriculum for five
> years.
>
> On the other hand, functions really are first-class objects in the
> language and can be passed around to that portion of my heart that is
> functional's content. They even have (a somewhat crippled) lambda.
>
> On those days when I tire of trying to teach 150 15-18 year-olds
> how to
> program without a lot of logistical support, I fantasize about
> developing the (optional) type system the Python community seems to
> have
> abandoned. Anybody want to take me on as a Ph.D. advisee? :-)

Been there, done that, running at top speed from it.

Python -- when we looked at it -- was so badly broken and UN-
abstracted that any analysis type system was just hopelessly broken.

But in principle, I am willing to supervise a PhD thesis on just that.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.