Thinking in FP vs OOP for large scale apps => Re: [plt-scheme] Imperative programming : missing the flow

From: Bill Wood (william.wood3 at comcast.net)
Date: Thu May 17 00:03:41 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 18:42 -0400, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
   . . .
> The ADJ group (Goguen, Thatcher, Wagner and someone whose name I
> forgot) started working and writing on algebraic data specifications
> around 1970.

Do you have any refs that early?  The best I can find (again, the
bibliography of my trusty dusty Current Trends in Programming
Methodology, vol. IV, Data Structuring this time) are

Goguen, Thatcher, Wagner and Wright, "A Junction Between Computer
Science and Category Theory: I, Basic Definitions and Examples", Part I,
IBM Research Report RC 4526, 1973

Goguen, Thatcher, Wagner and Wright, "Initial Algebra Semantics and
Continuous Algebras", IBM Research Report RC 5701, 1975 (also JACM, 24,
68-95).

and others through 1976 (those four sure plowed a mess ground in those
days!)

 -- Bill Wood

Posted on the users mailing list.