Thinking in FP vs OOP for large scale apps => Re: [plt-scheme] Imperative programming : missing the flow

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Wed May 16 14:52:49 EDT 2007

> The point which I didn't express was that the notion of maintaining a
> state within a 'module' that is exposed via an 'interface' is
> something that seems to be a commonality among OO and modules/units.

Yes, but as you know, correlation is not causality.  I'd say the
pleisomorph you're looking at originates with the description of
Abstract Data Types (ADTs) -- which are one of the the most mis-taught
topics in introductory computer science -- and the work on ADTs is the
ancestral work of the instances you're looking at.

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.