[plt-scheme] Linux question

From: Cyprien Nicolas (c.nicolas at gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 14 03:10:21 EDT 2007

2007/5/13, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org>:

> I figure it won't hurt to ask: does anyone know of a way to reboot a
> linux machine by only creating, deleting, or modifying a file?

Using Software Suspend (in ACPI configuration menu) in Linux Kernel,

echo reboot > /sys/power/disk
echo disk > /sys/power/state

Will cause the system to suspend itself and then reboot.
If you use the 'Default resume partition' in kernel configuration or the
--resume kernel parameter at boot, and reboot on the same kernel, then the
system will resume system and memory after rebooting.
Otherwise, the suspended state will be erased and the system will boot
normaly like if you have typed halt, init 6 or telinit 6, except the time
spent to save memory onto SWAP partition.

Maybe there is other options to /sys/power/state in order to tell the kernel
you don't want to suspend system, but I don't know them.

--
Cyprien Nicolas
c.nicolas at gmail.com