[plt-scheme] Imperative programming : missing the flow

From: Marco Morazan (morazanm at gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 11 23:13:30 EDT 2007

Dear John,

It is my belief that you have hit the imperative programming problem on the
nail. There is, however, work that might be useful in making sense of what
is going on for both the students and the instructor. To write/develop a
function start with a specification ( i.e. preconditions for the input and a
postcondition for the output and, yes, we can adapt for arguments passed by
reference :-). As code is developed insert Hoare Logic-like assertions as
comments between statements to describe the state of the computation. Very
broadly, Precondition + code + assertions = Postcondition. This approach
avoids "leaving statements out" and indicates why the order of statements is
important. It takes time to get good at doing this in a classroom, but I
have used it effectively in the past.

The technique applied to Java has been polished by Doug Troeger of The City
College of New York. You may want to contact him for ideas and sample course
material.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Marco