[plt-scheme] Are new Schemers supposed to be reading SRFIs?

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri May 11 15:53:44 EDT 2007

On 5/11/07, Robby Findler <robby at cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> FWIW, the version-spec-less planet path specs are really only meant
> for REPL development, not for real programs. Probably best to put a 1
> at the end there.
>
> Jacob: maybe it is time to get rid of those?

One place I still use them: in language level tools.  For instance,
here is a short excerpt from tool.ss in the object debugger package:

      (define sequence-trace-language%
        (class* drscheme:language:simple-module-based-language%
          (drscheme:language:simple-module-based-language<%>)
          (super-new [module '(planet "traced-lang.ss" ("plt"
"object-debugger.plt"))]
          .
          .
          .

Here, the simple-module-based-language class needs a require spec for
the language's module.  There's no "relative" spec that will work
because I don't know where this will get required from, so I have to
make it a planet spec.  If I give it a version number, that's one more
place I have to make sure to update every time the package gets
re-released.  I leave it versionless so this line won't have to change
with each version, but it will still refer back to itself.

--
Carl Eastlund